Built on land donated to a group led by Rev. Goro Kaburagi, the Japanese Teahouse in the Japanese Tea Gardens opened in 1910 at 21st Street and St Georges Avenue. This photo shows the exterior of the building in 1911. The building was built by a team of Japanese workers and featured walls that could be opened on warm summer days.
The Japanese Gardens featured a Japanese teahouse, stone lanterns, and a 108-foot high observation tower built around an even higher tree.
Unfortunately, the Tea Gardens closed after only a few years. The teahouse building was moved to a new location on the Horticultural Society grounds and was re-named Scout Hall.
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver opening in Fall 2021.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.