Paine Hardware, one of North Vancouver’s legendary businesses, kept its doors open for almost 90 years. The store first opened in 1908 under the name of Paine and McMillan, for Ellsworth McMillan & John B. Paine.
In 1914, the store relocated to the Aberdeen Block at the foot of Lonsdale Avenue (90 Lonsdale Ave.) The Paine family owned the business until 1952, when it was acquired by Mr. Horne. Paine Hardware was known for specializing in hard-to-find hardware items. This photo shows the front of the store in the 1970s about 20 years before it was destroyed by fire on New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31, 1997.
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver opening in Fall 2021.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.