This photo from 1911 shows the first and second Lynn Valley School buildings.
The first Lynn Valley School was established on May 20, 1904, a simple one-room wood structure with a modest playground to serve the children of the logging community.
Starting with 18 students, school attendance fluctuated reflecting seasonal labour and the rural status of Lynn Valley.
Miss Margaret Whiteley was employed as the first schoolmistress at $40 a month. In 1908, the school was replaced by a new wood building that still stands today at Harold Street and Mountain Highway as the Parent Participation Day Care.
MONOVA’s new online exhibit is A LANDMARK TRANSFORMED: 100 YEARS SERVING THE COMMUNITY. Using archival photos and oral history audio clips, this exhibition marks the 100th Anniversary of the remarkable building originally constructed as the fourth Lynn Valley School and later restored and adapted for reuse as the Archives of North Vancouver.
Click here for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver, opening in 2021.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org