This 1911 building (formerly BC Telephone Exchange), at 143 East 11th St. in North Vancouver, once housed the CKLG radio station in the late 1950s. CKLG was owned by Lions Gate Broadcasting Ltd. (hence “LG”), a North Van company founded by four brothers, Gordon, Earson, Clarke, and Jack Gibson.
CKLG went on the air on Feb. 2, 1955, at 1070 on the AM dial. A couple of years later the station upgraded to a 10,000-watt transmitter and moved to 730 on the AM dial. (Remember LG73?) In 1961, the Gibsons sold CKLG and the new owner eventually moved operations to Richards Street in Vancouver.
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to plan your visit to MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver, now open at 115 West Esplanade in The Shipyards.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver ,at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley, is open by appointment only. Contact: email@example.com
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.