Here’s how a student visa can help you immigrate to Canada

If you have a goal of immigrating to Canada, a university degree from your home country could very well be your golden ticket.

By setting a target of welcoming 350,000 new arrivals each year by 2021, Canada is telling the world that it is willing to open its doors to talented individuals.

article continues below

“We are 40 million people and yet we don’t have enough people living here to fulfill all the opportunities for growth,” says Rachel Gary, COO of Canada Direct. “The Canadian government is giving people the chance to have a good life here but there is the expectation that you contribute to the economy as well.”

The immigration system in Canada operates on a points basis. Those with a dream of moving to Canada can accumulate points for such things as work experience, education and English or French proficiency. Points can be earned in your home country, as well as in Canada.

The experts at Canada Direct can help make the application process much smoother. First, a team member will take you through a questionnaire that outlines the client’s qualifications. Then, an assessment report will be sent to one of Canada Direct’s regulated Canadian immigration consultants.

Education is an important factor in Canada’s immigration process. Bachelor and master’s degrees from other countries are usually accepted, while complications can arise if the degrees are from a technical school.

Work experience comes secondary to education. For instance, Gary says that in many Central American countries, a person can have management experience without a university degree. It’s not that they’re not educated; rather, the level of education is not as stringent a job requirement as it is in Canada.

In cases like these where the applicant wants to continue working in their chosen field in Canada, Gary suggests that they arrive on a student visa. Then, they can work towards obtaining their university degree or college diploma in Canada. Canada Direct can help applicants in this situation get a work visa that allows them to earn both an income and more points for immigration.

But what happens if you are older than 35 and you possess a high school diploma, but no post-secondary education? Gary says this is a more challenging, but not impossible, situation. While B.C. and Ontario are popular arrival points for immigrants, Manitoba is actually the most lenient province when it comes to eligibility criteria. It doesn’t require applicants to pass an English language test, for instance. Another option is that applicants of all ages can apply for a student visa which can allow them to study for the qualifications they need for employment.

Want help immigrating to Canada? Visit today to start turning your dreams into reality.

Read Related Topics

© North Shore News

Report a Typo or Error