COQUITLAM, B.C. — The RCMP says an investigation is underway into a reported death threat against former British Columbia cabinet minister Selina Robinson.
Premier David Eby had disclosed the alleged threat against Robinson in a social media post on Thursday, saying it was inexcusable.
Robinson, who is Jewish, resigned as post-secondary education minister on Monday amid an uproar over comments she made during an online panel last month, saying modern Israel was founded on a "crappy piece of land."
Critics called the remarks racist and Islamophobic.
"Selina Robinson recently received a death threat," Eby said on X, formerly Twitter. "Hatred and violence are completely unacceptable in B.C. There is no excuse, ever. She is safe and the police are investigating to find the person responsible."
Coquitlam RCMP Staff Sgt. Kris Clark said in a statement that Mounties were investigating but couldn't provide specific or further details.
"Police will not comment on the nature of the threat nor provide any additional information at this time," he said in the statement.
"All threat investigations are taken seriously and the integrity of the investigation, in addition to the safety for anyone impacted, remains our priority."
Eby said earlier this week that Robinson's constituency office in Coquitlam was vandalized with "hateful messages" after her resignation.
Robinson continues to represent Coquitlam-Maillardville in the legislature.
Nico Slobinsky with the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs said on social media he was saddened by news of the threat, adding that he wondered if Robinson's critics were emboldened after her resignation.
Slobinsky said in a separate post that a death threat to an elected official "should concern all British Columbians."
— By Dirk Meissner in Victoria
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 9, 2024.
The Canadian Press