Skip to content

West Vancouver crews put out British Properties house fire

The fire was likely caused by home renovations
West Vancouver Fire & Rescue members put out a house fire in the British Properties, April 14, 2024. | Cindy Goodman / North Shore News files

West Vancouver Fire & Rescue say it was likely renovation work that led to a house fire in the British Properties, Sunday night.

A resident on the 200 block of Stevens Drive called 911 around 7:50 p.m. after he spotted smoke coming from his neighbours’ roof, said assistant chief Jeremy Calder.

By the time the first crews arrived, it was considered a working structure fire. West Van Fire members attacked the blaze at its source inside the home and got it out before it spread to the rest of the house.

The area where the fire was burning was significantly damaged, Calder said, but luckily, the home has a secondary suite that the family will be able to move into while the damages are repaired.

Fire prevention officers were back at the home Monday for a formal investigation, but Calder said the fire appears to have started around the home’s chimney where the homeowner was doing renovations involving “hot works.”

Any home projects that involve the use of a torch or other hot tools should be monitored closely in the hours afterwards, Calder said, to ensure that nothing has been left smouldering.

Calder said the incident should also serve as a reminder for everyone to check their smoke detectors, adding that thanks are owed to the neighbour for calling for help the moment he realized something was wrong.

“It probably saved the home from further damage and allowed the fire department to make a quick attack and extinguishment of the fire so they didn’t lose their home,” he said.

[email protected]