Skip to content

Plastic appliance left on stove ignites North Van kitchen fire

The owner and several pets cats made it out unharmed in Woods Drive blaze
Firefighter HelmetCINDY
Firefighters were called out to a townhouse where a kitchen fire resulted in significant smoke on Tuesday afternoon (Oct. 4).

District of North Vancouver firefighters raced to the scene of a kitchen fire at a townhouse Tuesday afternoon (Oct. 4) after smoke started billowing from a home in the 1500 block of Woods Drive shortly before 5 p.m.

A plastic appliance left on the stovetop had caught fire and started the blaze, said assistant fire Chief Scott Ferguson of District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services. Crews were able to quickly put the fire out, Ferguson said, but the burning plastic caused significant smoke damage to the unit.

One person was home at the two-storey townhouse unit, but managed to get out without harm. Several pet cats – including one rescued by firefighters – also made it out of the townhouse unharmed, he said.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks