This hand-tinted picture postcard shows a north view up Lonsdale Avenue from the ferry terminal in 1912.
This was a time when the streets were dirt and the sidewalks (if there were any) were made of wood planks.
In 1893, two years after the incorporation of the District of North Vancouver, a ferry service began “ferrying” people across Burrard Inlet between Vancouver and North Vancouver.
In 1900, the steam-powered North Vancouver Ferry No. 1 started carrying foot passengers. By the time this photo was taken, the fleet grew to include North Vancouver Ferries No. 2 (1904) and No. 3. (1911).
For more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about the new Museum of North Vancouver opening in 2021, visit nvma.ca and sign up for the museum’s e-newsletter at bit.ly/35MWr83.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org