This photo shows the Lynnwood Hotel around 1965. Established in 1934, it was located near the north end of the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Crossing at 1515 Barrow St. Before it closed in 2012, many believed that the Lynnwood was North Vancouver’s oldest pub.
In the early days, all bridge traffic was forced onto Railway Street past the front of the hotel, which at that time looked south onto the street. This made the Lynnwood ideally situated to attract tourists, fisherman, truckers, longshoremen, and locals. The Lynnwood Pub, which later had a dance floor, for a time was the social centre of the east side of North Vancouver.
When the bridge was replaced in the 1960s, northbound traffic no longer moved past the Lynnwood, resulting in a decline of business. In an attempt to modernize, the building was later massively renovated resulting in the removal of the gabled roof and the Tudor style.
In 2012, the property was sold and re-zoned for industrial use. The Lynnwood was demolished soon after.
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver opening in 2021.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.