The Second Narrows Bridge opened on November 7, 1925, making North Vancouver accessible to motorists.
The bridge opened to rail traffic the following year.
Currents made navigation treacherous and vessels routinely smashed into the bridge. The worst incident occurred in September 1930 when a log-carrier under tow knocked out one of the bridge spans. The bridge didn’t reopen until November 1934.
In 1960, a new (second) Second Narrows Bridge (renamed the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in 1994) was completed alongside the original bridge, and the original bridge was converted exclusively for rail use.
In 1968, the original 1926 rail bridge was replaced by CN Rail with a larger, higher lift bridge.
The Time Traveller feature offers a weekly glimpse into the North Shore's past, courtesy of North Vancouver Museum and Archives.
Want to know more about the history of the North Shore? Visit nvma.ca or drop into the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley.