Along with the logging, lumber, and shipbuilding industries, the stone quarry industry once thrived on the North Shore.
This photograph shows a group of eight stonemasons at an unidentified quarry site in North Vancouver.
There were several small and large quarry operations operating on the North Shore in the early part of the 20th century.
Many of the quarries supplied crushed rock that was used by North Vancouver for roadwork.
Granite Quarries Ltd., in Deep Cove, was a large operation that was located directly beneath what we now know as Quarry Rock. It was in operation from 1908 until 1924.
In the summer of 1930, the renovated Granite Quarries bunkhouse and cookhouse opened as The Quarries Lodge serving afternoon teas and dinners, along with rooms to let.
Click here for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver, opening in 2021.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Click here to email the archives.