This photo from 1913 shows the fire brigade outside the fire hall at the corner of Ross Road and Mountain Highway in Lynn Valley.
Since they all appear dressed in a shirt and tie and their fire hose reel is decorated, these men were likely on their way to a community celebration.
Over a century ago the District of North Vancouver was a series of isolated communities among trees and stumps, each with its own small commercial centre. Since the buildings at this time were mostly made of wood they were quite flammable. Just like today, dry summers often resulted in brush fires.
Three communities – Capilano, North Lonsdale, and Lynn Valley – each operated volunteer fire brigades during these nascent days. Each brigade consisted of four or more men, plus a fire chief who reported to the district council. To assist in their efforts, there were a few fire hydrants scattered about, and each brigade had access to a good local water source – Capilano River (Capilano), Mosquito Creek (North Lonsdale), and Lynn Creek (Lynn Valley).
Visit the MONOVA website for more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver opening in 2021.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigate culture on the North Shore by using the North Shore Culture Compass.