THE FOLLOWING is a selection of volunteer opportunities from various community organizations, made available through Volunteer North Shore, a service of North Shore Community Resources Society.
- Life skills mentor: Parkgate Community Services Society is looking for a volunteer. The society aims to enhance the social, emotional and physical well-being of children in the Seymour neighbourhood by increasing belonging and community connection within and across generations. Through the Parkgate Community Services Society's new program "Social Success Through Soapbox," a life skills mentor would seek to act as a non-parent adult connection for children ages 11-12 in the community while promoting child autonomy and competence through team building exercises and group activities.
- School program assistant: A volunteer is needed to assist naturalists on school programs for elementary and secondary students. Programs have different themes such as rain forests, invertebrates (bugs) and streams. Programs are outside, spring and fall, rain or shine. The program runs until June.
- Reading group leader: A volunteer is needed to lead a reading group in a seniors' facility. The volunteer should be able to provide assistance to those who are in wheelchairs and be willing to accept direction from staff. The volunteer should also be able to create a positive atmosphere and have fun.
- Event outreach volunteer: Youthco is looking for an event outreach volunteer to work within its community peer education program. The volunteer would represent the community organization in a youth-friendly and professional manner at a variety of youth and healthfocused events throughout the Lower Mainland.
- Gift shop assistant: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Garden is looking for a conscientious, self-motivated volunteer interested in a career in retail, management or in tourism. Training will be provided to the volunteer. Previous retail experience is an asset.
If you are interested in these or other possible volunteer opportunities, call 6049857138. The society is a partner agency of the United Way.