ERICA SMITH, AGE 9
DO YOU LIKE YUMMY LUNCHES? I DO!
Here are some things my friends and I recommend for you to have for lunch.
Parents, listen up! No more having to think all day about your child's next school lunch, or asking your children what they want for lunch, and getting the reply:
"I hate when you ask this question every day!" Do you hear this every morning? If so, look at my list of fantastic ideas!
- You could have a yummy peanut butter jelly sandwich or some peanut butter and cheese crackers! You'll love this lunch! (editor's note: since many schools prohibit peanut butter in lunches, a tasty nut-free alternative is made with soy beans. Look for it at your grocery store.)
- I prefer to have soft things if I have a loose tooth (or hurting braces). Sometimes, I have applesauce in these situations. Otherwise, I recommend an apple.
- Want your child to have a bigger dish? Choose some couscous, coleslaw, pasta, macaroni, grilled cheese, soup, chicken salad, or a croissant. My friends and I love these things!
- Feel like dessert? Pick a chocolate chip cookie or a muffin. I love these desserts!
- Do you get snack-time during the day?
My favorite snacks are some trail mix with my favorite toppings, or a granola bar.
- Parents, I suppose you'll be waiting for more healthy snacks. Friends like and recommend fruit in season and ants on a log (peanut butter spread on celery and topped with raisins).
- Choose anything yummy, parents. It's good for your child to try new foods!
- Don't eat all of these suggestions in one meal. For example, you could have a sandwich, fruit, trail mix, and a cookie in one lunch.
I hope your child likes this list . . . of really cool ideas!
Erica Smith wrote this article while participating in Capilano University's Serious Fun summer camp, Cub Reporters.