You’ll want to avoid this section of road if you’re driving along Marine Drive in West Vancouver in the coming weeks.
Starting Monday, rock scaling work is being done on the 5900 block of Marine Drive, between West Vancouver Marina and Gleneagles Drive.
The work will take place on the north rock face to reduce rock fall risk and improve safety along the corridor, explained district spokesperson Donna Powers.
Following a rockfall in this area in 2021, district staff cleared the fall and had the area assessed.
“The scope of work requires the road to be completely closed to traffic while it is underway,” Powers said.
District staff expects the work to take around two weeks to complete, and will cost around $100,000. If possible, all work will take place Monday to Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Powers said.
The construction timeline is subject to change due to weather and contractor availability. Updates can be found on the district website.
Public transit users should take notice of the following bus detours.
250 Horseshoe Bay westbound detour:
Regular Route to Marine Dr and Primrose, right at Primrose, right at Cranley, left at Marine Drive, left at Westport, follow Westport to Highway 1 westbound on ramp, right onto Highway 1 westbound, take Village exit to Horseshoe Bay Terminus.
250 Vancouver eastbound detour:
Regular Route Marine Drive (top round about), merge on to Highway 1 eastbound, Exit 4, left at Headland, left at Westport, left at Marine Drive, regular route.
A shuttle will be running back and forth from Horseshoe Bay to Gleneagles Drive (5900 block closure) to service the following stops.
- north side of Marine Drive at Gleneagles Drive, stop ID: 54650
- north side of Marine Drive at Eagleridge Drive, stop ID: 54651
- north side of Marine Drive at Orchill Road, stop ID: 54652
- north side of Marine Drive at park and ride, stop ID: 54653
- north side of Marine Drive at 6300 block, stop ID: 54654
- south side of Marine Drive at 6300 block, stop ID: 54560
- south side of Marine Drive at park and ride, stop ID:54561
- south side of Marine Drive at Orchill Road, stop ID: 54562
- south side of Marine Drive at Eagleridge Drive, stop ID: 54563
- south side of Marine Drive at Gleneagles Drive, stop ID: 54564
The following stops will not be serviced during the closure. Passengers will be directed to board at Marine Drive and Westport stop.
- stop ID: 54649
- stop ID: 54565