Puerto Rico’s destination marketing organization, Discover Puerto Rico, is hosting a virtual tour of island culture this weekend featuring a salsa lesson with Tito Ortos and his partner Tamara Livolsi, (choreographers to Latin American stars such as El Gran Combo, Gilberto Santa Rosa, and Víctor Manuelle) on Friday, March 27, a cocktail-making class with Roberto Berdecia, bartender and co-founder of the famous La Factoría on Saturday, March 28, and a cooking demo with Puerto Rican chef Wilo Benet from Wilo Eatery & Bar on Sunday, March 29.
“We take great responsibility in helping stop the spread of COVID-19, so we’re not encouraging travelers to visit us right now as everyone needs to stay safe in their homes. Instead, we want to extend an important part of our culture – our salsa music and dancing, our mixology and our delicious cuisine – to uplift people during these challenging times. We encourage travelers to daydream about our Island now and consider a visit later, when the time is right. In the meantime, we’re excited to join them in their living rooms for this virtual getaway,” says Brad Dean, CEO of Discover Puerto Rico.
Salsa Lesson on Friday, March 27, 8 p.m. EDT (5 p.m. PDT)
The salsa lesson will kick off with a brief overview of basic salsa steps from notable salsa dancers Tito Ortos and Tamara Livolsi, and turn into a salsa dance party so people can have a little fun from the comfort of their homes.
– To participate, log into Zoom for free via zoom.us/j/293759126 (Meeting ID #293-759-126) at 8:00 p.m. ET. All you need is an internet connection and a webcam to show off your best moves to other participants. No experience is necessary.
– Ortos, the director of the San Juan City Salsa Dance Program, participates with Livolsi every year in congresses around the world, and both work as judges for the World Salsa Summit, Euroson Latino and the World Salsa Championships.
Cocktail Making on Saturday, March 28, 7 EDT (4 p.m. PDT)
Participants will not want to miss top bartender on the island Roberto Berdecia, co-owner of acclaimed La Factoría and Jungle Bird, serve up one of his favourites.
– To participate, join via Instagram Live at @discoverpuertorico.
– La Factoría in Old San Juan, celebrating its fifth year as one of the World’s 50 Best Bars, was featured in the music video of the hit song “Despacito.”
Cooking Class on Sunday, March 29, 7 EDT (4 p.m. PDT)
Chef Wilo Benet, who has redefined Puerto Rican cuisine, and in that process has put the Island’s flavours on the global map, will walk participants through one of his favourite dishes.
– To participate, join via Instagram Live at @discoverpuertorico
– Chef Benet defines his culinary style as contemporary global cuisine, a concept that combines traditional Puerto Rican ingredients with Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Spanish, Italian, French and Arab influences.
For more on Discover Puerto Rico, click here.