This Sunday, Jan.19, Cineplex invites movie-lovers across Canada to visit their local theatre and indulge in the world’s most popular movie theatre snack – popcorn! In celebration of National Popcorn Day, over 10 million SCENE card holders can enjoy a free bag of Cineplex’s famous, buttery popcorn.
To take advantage of the deal, SCENE members can visit any one of Cineplex’s 165 theatres across the country and scan their membership card or barcode on the SCENE app at concession. The offer is valid for one small bag of popcorn per SCENE member and cannot be combined with any other concession offers, combos or promotions
“Popcorn is synonymous with the movie-going experience, especially at Cineplex.” said Sarah Van Lange, executive director of communications, Cineplex. “Now in its third year, we’re excited to continue a tradition that Canadians have come to love and celebrate this classic movie treat on National Popcorn Day.”
Can’t make it to a theatre? Get popcorn delivered right to your door! In partnership with Cineplex, SkipTheDishes is offering every customer a free small Cineplex popcorn on National Popcorn Day! To claim your free popcorn, simply download the SkipTheDishes app, search ‘Cineplex’ and add a small popcorn to your order.
Cineplex Popcorn Kernels of Truth:
• Last year, Cineplex served more than 300 million kernels of popcorn on National Popcorn Day. This year, Cineplex anticipates that movie-lovers will surpass that number!
• Cineplex pops roughly 29 billion popcorn kernels over the course of a year.
• It was not until films introduced sound in 1927 that movies became a cultural event across North America. With this surge in popularity, street vendors began serving up snacks, including popcorn, before movie-goers entered the theatre. Popcorn soon became inseparable from the experience and still is to this day.
• Talk about ancient grains! Historians believe that popcorn existed as early as 4,700 B.C.
• The world’s oldest known popper was designed around 300 AD, with the first popcorn machine making its debut more than 1,500 years later at the World’s Fair in Chicago in 1893.
• Cineplex has a signature popcorn recipe exclusive to its theatres, making it that perfect mix of salty, buttery and fluffy deliciousness.
• Popcorn comes in two shapes: ‘snowflake’ and ‘mushroom.’ ‘Snowflake’ popcorn is light and fluffy and served hot and fresh in Cineplex theatres. ‘Mushroom’ popcorn is round and compact to better hold specialty toppings and is used in Cineplex’s gourmet-inspired Poptopia,