On July 23, 1923, 16 Coast Salish chiefs signed an amalgamation document to create the Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation) and a council of chiefs to conduct Squamish affairs.
This group photo of the Skwxwú7mesh signing chiefs and delegates commemorates this historic event and the government's recognition that the Squamish Band was made up of numerous village sites in the Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed.
The photo was taken outside the Department of Indian Affairs building in Vancouver.
For more information about the history of the North Shore and to learn about the new Museum of North Vancouver opening in 2021, visit nvma.ca and sign up for the museum’s e-newsletter at bit.ly/35MWr83.
Currently, the Archives of North Vancouver at 3203 Institute Rd. in Lynn Valley is open by appointment only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org