The BC Hospitality Foundation (BCHF) is truly one of a kind. It is the only charity in Canada devoted exclusively to helping hospitality and tourism workers facing financial crises due to a serious health condition experienced by themselves or a family member.
For example, British Columbians working as restaurant chefs, baristas, and hotel housekeepers, often have part-time or seasonal work and no medical benefits. This can leave them without resources to fall back on if the unexpected happens.
Since its inception in 2006, the organization has given away over $1 million in grants to workers in need. The charity is also, however, keenly interested in fostering the development of future workers and leaders in the hospitality and tourism sector. Its scholarship program keeps expanding, and this year it’s offering over $60,000 in awards to individuals studying a range of programs at B.C. post-secondary institutions. In 2021 alone, there were 39 scholarship recipients.
To continue supporting future workers and leaders, BCHF is hosting a raffle to raise funding for this year’s scholarships. The scholarships funded include the following:
- Culinary Scholarships for students pursuing a culinary career. In partnership with the Chefs’ Table Society of BC
- BC WISE (Wine Industry Scholarship and Education Fund) Scholarships for students enrolled in programs such as winemaking, viticulture, or wine business executive
- Wine Business Professional Scholarships for hospitality workers expanding their wine knowledge
- Food & Beverage Professional Scholarships for students enrolled in a beverage or culinary program
- The BCHF Indigenous Scholarship for one indigenous hospitality worker who wants to increase their knowledge of the field through education
- The BCHF LGBT2Q+ Scholarship for one indigenous hospitality worker who wants to increase their knowledge of the field through education
- Hospitality Scholarships for students nominated by their schools
- Special Event Management Scholarship, awarded through BCIT
- BCIT Graphic Arts Scholarship for a BCIT student studying Graphic Design while supporting themselves working in Tourism & Hospitality
Applications will be accepted online from early February until March 31, 2022. Details on eligibility and submission requirements may be found at www.bchospitalityfoundation.com/scholarships.
All the scholarships are funded by private donors, both individuals and businesses that recognize the value of keeping B.C.’s hospitality & tourism sector strong. The BCHF receives no government funding, relying instead on fundraising activities such as online lotteries and community events.
To learn more about the raffle and how to enter, visit bchospitalityraffle.5050central.com. To learn more about the organization’s initiatives, sign up for the BCHF newsletter at www.bchospitalityfoundation.com.