Lower Lonsdale has been named the best place on the North Shore to buy either a condo or a townhome, in a new report by real estate website Zolo.
The rankings were the result of extensive study of all of Greater Vancouver’s neighbourhoods, through which Zolo created a value score for each area based on a series of factors. These included: relative value of an average home compared with surrounding areas and the overall municipality; price appreciation over the past five years and potential for future growth; and the economic strength of the area combined with WalkScores and Transit scores.
At the other end of the scale, North Vancouver’s Indian River neighbourhood was named the “worst” area on the North Shore to buy a condo in 2018, and Lynn Valley the worst for a townhome. The “worst” means that either the area is not good value compared with other neighbourhoods, or that it has less potential for price growth, or that it is low-priced for a reason, according to Zolo.
Romana King, Zolo’s director of content, wrote in the report, “Value isn’t synonymous with cheap, especially in real estate. Cheaper housing prices can occur for a variety of reasons — not all of them good. Instead, we wanted to find neighbourhoods that haven’t appreciated as much as surrounding communities but have access to the same amenities and social values as these higher-priced neighbouring ’hoods. In essence, we are looking for affordable, good neighbourhoods that are poised to increase in value.”
Neither North or West Vancouver figured high in Greater Vancouver’s overall rankings. East Coquitlam was named the region’s top area to buy a condo, and Mary Hill in Port Coqutilam was placed highest for townhouses. (Full Greater Vancouver rankings here.)
Check out the infographic below for Zolo’s top 10 areas on the North Shore to buy either a condo or a townhome, and below that, Zolo’s 10 “worst” North Shore areas to buy a condo or townhome. Do you agree with the results?
Infographic by Zolo
Zolo’s 10 Worst Neighbourhoods to Buy a Condo in West and North Vancouver in 2018
- Indian River, North Vancouver – average price $686,657
- Whitby Estates, West Vancouver – $2,101,667
- Cypress Park Estates, West Vancouver – $2,726,231
- Delbrook, North Vancouver – $861,333
- Deer Ridge, West Vancouver – $1,812,667
- Dollarton, North Vancouver – $1.069,000
- Northlands, North Vancouver – $764,173
- Roche Point, North Vancouver – $598,717
- Westlynn, North Vancouver – $389,000
Zolo’s 10 Worst Neighbourhoods to Buy a Townhouse in West and North Vancouver in 2018
- Lynn Valley, North Vancouver – $902,855
- Hamilton, North Vancouver – $825,022
- Westlynn, North Vancouver – $964,044
- Upper Caulfeild, West Vancouver – $2,190,000
- Norgate, North Vancouver – $833,067
- Chelsea Park, West Vancouver – $1,696,000
- Grouse Woods, North Vancouver – $1,200,000
- Indian River, North Vancouver – $1,058,833
- Lynnmour, North Vancouver – $902,855
- Cedardale, West Vancouver – $833,940