Decision on Allan Schoenborn's request for limited release not immediately due

COQUITLAM, B.C. — The lawyer for the man who killed his three children and was found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder says a BC Review Board will need at least a month to decide the latest request for temporary absences from a psychiatric facility.

Rishi Gill says Allan Schoenborn was before the review board Thursday requesting limited, staff-supported community outings.

article continues below

Schoenborn has been held at the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Coquitlam, B.C., since 2010, after being convicted of killing his 10-year-old daughter and two sons, aged eight and five, in April 2008.

A B.C. Supreme Court trial heard Schoenborn believed he was saving them from a life of sexual and physical abuse.

Since then, a B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled against an application to have Schoenborn declared a dangerous offender.

In 2015, the review board gave the psychiatric hospital the discretion to grant Schoenborn escorted outings.

Read Related Topics

© North Shore News

Hit or Bust POLL

Would you like to see a casino on the North Shore someday?

or  view results

Popular News

Find the North Shore News
Get the North Shore’s top headlines in your inbox

Community Event Calendar


Find out what's happening in your community and submit your own local events.