North Vancouver City Fire Department is praising some Upper Lonsdale residents after their quick action saved a neighbour's home from a potentially devastating fire.
City fire crews responded to a 9-1-1 call just after 2:15 p.m. Tuesday after neighbours spotted smoke and flames coming from the deck of a home at 228 East 27th.
No one was home at the time but neighbours from both sides of the home turned their garden hoses on the growing blaze, according to city fire chief Dan Pistilli.
"It wasn't a huge fire but there was potential. The neighbours being home and getting their garden hoses on it kept the fire at a minimum," he said. "We arrived on scene and did an expansive overhaul."
Pistilli said it appears an unextinguished cigarette butt in the nearby garbage can triggered the blaze. Thankfully, it did not spread to the adjacent' barbecue's propane tank.
"It didn't catch fire so we were kind of lucky there,' he said.
© Copyright 2013