It's all about colour this school year; from neons to vivid denim, the top trends for fall 2012 will brighten even the most dreary of fall days here on the West Coast.
Here are five hot trends for back-toschool fashion:
1. Neon. Electric shades of lime, tangerine, hot pink, and ultramarine can be worn on the bottom, the top, or all over. If you're uncomfortable with that much colour, use neon accessories to punch up your outfit - think belts or shoes.
2. Coloured denim. The trend away from traditional blue jeans continues into fall, and this season, even the boys can wear them. Cherry red, royal blue and kelly green are still the most popular shades.
3. Skinny jeans and leggings remain the top pant styles, but this season they vie with the "boyfriend" - relaxed, rolled and a little beat-up - as the jean style of choice.
4. Prep school. It's all about argyle sweaters, letterman jackets and knit academy blazers. For the freshest look, layer them over graphic tees and unbuttoned plaid shirts.
5. Accessorize. Even the most boring outfit can get a dose of personality with the right accessories. This fall, pile on bracelets, pick out a chunky ring, or throw on a few flower brooches to add pizzazz. Ballet flats are cute with sequins of an animal print, and for a great hair day, try a flowered headband, or the beanie cap, now popular with girls and boys.