IT'S A LONG WEEKEND.
Time to kick back and have a little fun. Today, we feature the third Seniors Quiz in the long history of this column.
Feedback on last year's quiz was that it was far too easy and a little too dour. I've changed the format in today's quiz - no more true or false questions. It's a multiple choice quiz now and I've added a few trivia questions to make it more fun.
Seniors around my office who tested the quiz answered on average 10 of the 14 questions correctly. Not bad, but let's see if you can do better.
Pencils ready? Let's begin.
1. According to figures collected by Health Canada in 2005, what was the average number of prescriptions filled in that year by those aged 80 and over?
2. According to a recent national survey on the abuse of the elderly in Canada, what percentage of seniors experience abuse?
a) four per cent
b) eight per cent
c) 15 per cent
3. What was the stage name of the late American actor Marion Michael Morrison?
a) John Wayne
b) Jimmy Stewart
c) Gene Autry
4. In Canada what is the only group that is seeing a rise in the divorce rate?
a) those under the age of 25
b) those over the age of 50
c) those over the age of 80
5. What year did the first Filet of Fish Sandwich swim out of the drive-in at McDonalds?
6. A Living Will indicates the
choice of measures a person may wish to receive when they are dying. What is the legal status of a Living Will?
a) it is legally binding
b) it is not legally binding
c) it is only legally binding if drawn up by a lawyer, duly signed and witnessed
7. What is the current estimate of the number of centenarians (those who are 100 years of age or older) worldwide?
8. What was the name of singing group formed in the 1950s by the sisters Kathy, Diane, Peggy and Janet?
a) The McGuire Sisters
b) The Lennon Sisters
c) The Andrews Sisters
9. Under what circumstances can a homeowner arrange to defer their municipal taxes until their property ceases to be their principal residence?
a) if they are the original homeowners
b) if they are 55 or over, a surviving spouse and registered owner, or disabled
c) if they are renting out part of their home
d) none of the above
10. What services are not covered by the Medical Services Plan (MSP)?
a) dental services
c) hearing aids
d) the services of counsellors or psychologists
e) all of the above
11. Under what circumstances is a parking permit for people with disabilities valid?
a) only in the car that is registered in the holder's name
b) in any car the holder drives
c) in any car that the holder drives or is driven in
12. What is the response fee charged when an ambulance is called to a residence, care facility or patient's place of employment and transportation is not required or is refused?
a) a fee is not charged
13. What powers can be assigned under a Power of Attorney?
a) responsibility for financial matters
b) responsibility for legal matters
Older & Wiser
c) decisions about health care
d) responsibility for financial and legal matters only
14. Where did the late American comedy actor Richard Bernard "Red" Skelton get his nickname?
a) from his red hair
b) from his political beliefs
c) from his red socks and suspenders.
You've reached the end of the quiz. It's time to tally your score.
Answer key. 1.(c) 2.(a) 3.(a) 4.(b) 5.(a) 6.(b) 7.(c) 8.(b) 9.(b) 10.(e) 11.(c) 12 (b) 13 (d) 14 (a).
I hope you had fun and learned something! Enjoy the holiday.
Tom Carney is the executive director of the Lionsview Seniors' Planning Society. Ideas for future columns are welcome. Contact him at 604-985-3852 or send an email to lions_view@ telus.net.
WHAT'S GOING ON FOR SENIORS
Harmony Arts Festival: A trip down memory lane for the young at heart. Seniors can dance to the sounds of Dal Richards' Orchestra Sunday, Aug. 5, 2-4 p.m. and the Yaletown String Quartet will perform Sunday, Aug. 12, 2-4 p.m. at John Lawson Park, 750 17th St., West Vancouver. Jillian Lebeck and Adam Thomas will perform jazz Saturday, Aug. 11, 2-4 p.m. at the West Vancouver Community Centre, 2121 Marine Dr. Info: www.harmonyarts.ca.
Email information for your non-profit, by donation or nominal fee event to email@example.com.