IT appears to be unattended candles that led to a fire and several residents losing their homes on Friday.
North Vancouver City Fire Department responded to the apartment building on the 300-block of East First Street around 8: 30 a.m. Friday when someone reported smoke coming from a main floor unit.
"Crews went in and did an interior attack and knocked the fire down. It was contained to one suite," said Fire Chief Dan Pistilli. "The suite is heavily damaged and there's smoke damage to three (units)."
The fire originated near burning candles, Pistilli said.
Emergency Social Services have put the affected residents up in local hotels for 72 hours.
No one was harmed in the blaze. "We had to rescue a couple pets but all the tenants were self-evacuated by the time we arrived," Pistilli said.
© Copyright 2013